The Pursuit of Enhancement Podcast Episode 2
Welcome to Episode 2 of The Pursuit of Enhancement Podcast.
My name is Peter Ledwidge and I am your host.
Each week I sit down to talk in-depth with guests that push the boundaries of conventional living, driven by the singular pursuit of being on an unrelenting quest to continually expand the horizons of their body, mind and spirit.
The aim is to learn more about them and from them; their story, the work they are doing, the highs, the lows, the triumphs, the heartaches and everything in between.
This week on the podcast I am beyond thrilled to be joined by none other than, the enigma, Mat grills
- Owner and operator of The Journey Bargara.
- The tattoo runner
- ultra runner
- Family man
- Spiritual ganster
Before we get into here is a little bit about Mat…
Born and bred in the coastal town of Bundaberg, Queensland
After finishing high school Mat headed overseas for a bit, upon returning he joined the Police Force. He later resigned choosing to explore life and chase the dream.
He took up running on a regular basis in 2007, inspired by his Dad who had been an avid runner for the past 10 years.
In 2009 a tumor was discovered on his pituitary gland and had to have major brain surgery. Shortly after his surgery he completed the Gold Coast half marathon.
In September 2009 Mat and his Dad ran from Bundaberg to Brisbane and back as a fundraiser after his Dad had Prostate Cancer a couple of years prior. They ran the distance with their support crew in tow in 21 days, covering just over 500km each in that time.
To date, he has competed in five half marathons, nine full marathons, and over 30 ultra marathons. These ultra events have ranged from 53km to 320k. Some of these have included Coast 2 Kosci, The North Face 100k, a self organised 200mile run to the Sunshine Coast, Glasshouse 100mile run (161km), Buffalo Stamped Grand Slam and over 100k on a track (numerous times) at Relay for Life. He has also completed the Gold Coast Marathon completely barefoot.
At the end of 2016 one of his long time dreams came true and he started a cafe, called The Journey. In a laneway off Bauer St Bargara, that is generally where you’ll find him if he’s not out running!
In this episode we talk about
- his transformation from bodybuilder to marathoner to ultra runner.
- repairing fractured relationships
- Running mechanics and barefoot running
- His ultra adventures running from Bundaberg to the Sunshine Coast and Bundaberg to Brisbane, getting comfortable with being uncomfortable and advice for aspiring ultra runners.
- Diagnosis and treatment of his brain tumour, the role meat and dairy played in contracting that tumour, his adoption of a plant-based/vegan diet for running performance and long term health.
- His struggles with eating disorders and body image, going from junk food vegan to whole vegan.
You can find Mat on
Via his website www.thetattoorunner.com
You can fin his cafe The Journey on
Next week in episode 3 we’ll continue the conversation with
- further insight on his body confidence struggles and his advice for anyone with similar struggles.
- Accepting himself as he is, being an emotive guy and being comfortable with expressing emotion, self-love and self-acceptance.
- Strength in vulnerability, opening up, providing safe space for men to express their emotional side.
- beliefs, what forms our beliefs, how beliefs can be changed, being more accepting of others beliefs, love and acceptance.
- His experiences as a new business owner, the evolution of The Journey, his cafe in Bargara, the story of it’s conception and inception, it’s ethos and success so far.
- Environmentalism, animal rights and ethics
- Family, parenting and making it all work in a busy schedule.
- Morning routines, self-preservation, journaling, self-development and the importance of reflection.
As I said lots covered, lots more to come, you can probably see now why I split this in two.
So that’s it for episode 2 I hope you got something out of it. Let me know in the comments your thoughts and take aways.
I am so so grateful to everyone that tuned in today. There and so many things you could be doing with your time so that fact that you choose to give it to me is such an honour. Thank you.
Be sure to follow or subscribe to your favourite source so you can keep up to date with future episodes, share it with your friends in person or on social media.
If you’d like to support the show you can do so on patreon.
I’m Peter Ledwidge, this is the Pursuit of Enhancement podcast and I will catch you next week for episode 3.
In the mean time remember to
And smile often.